Monday, April 12, 2010

Wikileaks VIdeo Is Disheartening.

So I promised that I would follow Youtube for this semester. So this week's feature is of course the Collateral Murder Wikileaks video (below). At first I didn't fully understand the implications of this video and I'm not sure even now that I do. But I feel as if this video may be showing us what the true cost of war is. We civilians don't see it too often, but this is the answer. To ask someone, man or women, to kill someone else on command, is an inherently dehumanizing act, one that I can only imagine is deadening to one's soul. This is the only possible reason I can imagine for the horror and plain cruelty shown in the Wikileaks video. Where is there to go from here if this is the result of war? What noble prize is at the end of this treacherous path? I think about Obama's acceptance speech at the Nobel Peace Award ceremony. He basically said that violence in some situations has to be used in order to achieve better ends. But I dont think I believe that anymore. I dont see what good can come from this. I dont see where such dreadful means lead to bountiful ends. I dont have the answer, but I feel further away from it than I did before seeing this.



By the way, in the past week this video reached #6 on the top viral video chart with over 6 million views.

No comments:

Post a Comment