Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Why I Am Passionate about the AIDS Fight

I know that this video is probably from before the election, but I just thought it was important to post in light of South Africa's recent efforts to fight against the AIDS epidemic. I have been thinking about the AIDS fight in general recently. Every year I do the New York AIDS walk, not because I think that raising my little $2oo dollars will make any real difference but for purely selfish reasons. I need to be reminded that this is something that affects every community, not just LGBT or African people. And I also need to feel empowered that I can do something about it. Seeing all those people walking with so much energy and resolve is inspiring. I wish I could articulate why I feel so passionate about this issue. No one close to me has been affected by AIDS, but how often is there a negative force in the world that affects so many people, yet is completely preventable and treatable. Its not cancer. We can stop it. Its not some genetic disease. We can do something about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment