Sunday, April 18, 2010

This Week's Video: Islam's "The View"

Check this out. Barbara Walters' "The View" has an Arabic counterpart on MBC. I came across this PBS video featuring four Islamic women who talk about all kinds of issues from an Arabic/Middle Easter prospective. They represent different nationalities, ages and ethnicities and they talk about tough issues such as homosexuality and women's rights.

It made me think about how Americans talk about the Islamic world as if it's so static, as if nothing will ever change. But so much has changed already and will continue to even as we debate about it. And even as I am writing this blog, I become more aware of my own stereotypes about Islam especially as it pertains to women. You learn a lot just listening to people talk about themselves. I wonder what these women would think if they watched the American "The View."


WIDE ANGLE | Dishing Democracy | Excerpt | PBS
Uploaded by pbs_usa. - News videos from around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment