Sunday, March 28, 2010

Africa, Abortion and the Globalizing of Ideas

So I decided to trash the idea about posting all of the free writes from my trip to Miami with Habitat. Even I dont care about what I did on Wednesday at 3pm. I learned a lot and it was a rewarding experience. The END.

But I was reading All Africa as I do every week, when I came across this opinions piece on abortion. It is a pretty liberal view about Kenyans not mixing the issues of abortion with the issues of religion. It was surprising to me because I have this idea of Africa (with the exception of a few countries)as being stuck in this conservative state where religion, politics and ethincity are so closely intertwined that ideas such as the ones stated in this article are chocked out. But I was wrong and pleasantly surprised. Whether or not you agree with the author, the fact that this discourse is happening is a sign of global progress. These ideas about life-saving abortions are ones that orginated somewhere else and yet are influencing poltics in countries once dismissed as being archaic. Hence when we talk about globalization, lets not just talk about commodities and corporations. Lets talk globalization and activism as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment