Friday, February 5, 2010

Trinity: The Iron Bubble

Recently, I have been thinking about the iron bubble we all live in also known as Trinity College. It is really starting to upset me how students seem to alienate themselves from the Hartford community. Whenever people talk about going to the store or needing to travel off campus, I always sense this weird apprehension as if there is some boogy monster waiting to steal their teddy. It's like they separate Trinity in their mind from Hartford and move it into a world of "otherness." It's insane. Trinity is a part of Hartford and we cant keep avoiding it or worse, fearing it. We spend a ridiculous amount of money on tuition to live in a city for four years and yet so many people seem to want nothing to do with it. Being from New York, I guess I am missing some crucial detail in my understanding. But even students at NYU and Columbia dont shy away from exploring the City just because there's crime, or because it's a new environment. In summary, I am a little disappointed I guess. The Admission department has tricked yet another student into believing its biggest lie: "Trinity has great community relations"....HA!

1 comment:

  1. I think that being isolated from the Hartford community is a symptom of a larger problem. The "iron bubble" is a real problem that isolates much of the student body from their immediate surroundings to more global issues. I don't have a hypothesis for why this is the way it is. I think it probably has to do with a number of things (admissions, lack of diversity, location, etc). I think that the biggest problem is that students leave Trinity having learned in the classroom without having experienced anything. The facts learned in the classroom are as good as fiction until they are internalized.

    ReplyDelete